Friday 29 August 2008

Appointments and updates

Ok, I know I said I'd post after my doctor's appointment, but I forgot - my brain is like mince recently!
The doctor was very nice, and told me off for doing too many home pregnancy tests. He asked if I'd done one, I told him that I'd done four, he said "Why do you women always do that?".
When I said that Chris has told me not to do any more the doctor suggested buying champagne with the money instead!

He then said that, even though I'd done all those home tests, I still needed to supply a pot of wee for their official test....

I handed that in, and phoned the surgery on Monday. They confirmed that I am pregnant, (I know, what a surprise!) so I went in a few days later to fill out the booking form for the midwives. It was a tiny little form, and then they gave me a huge thick envelope of things to read - yay!


The thing is, even though I have no reason to think that anything's gone wrong, I can't stop worrying. My problem is that I think too much about possibilities. I hear about one woman who had her baby die in the womb, but who didn't find out until her 12 week scan, so of course I go Googling, then discover that actually it's quite common. Now I don't want to think about the embryo as a baby, because then I'll get attached to it and I think something will go wrong.

Every time I tell somebody else about the pregnancy I think I might be jinxing it, that each new person who knows is someone else to get upset when this doesn't work. I almost wish we hadn't told anyone until I'd had a scan.

One of my colleagues only found out she was pregnant at 16 weeks. She missed a lot of the excitement, but also a hell of a lot of worrying. I can't decide whether or not I'm jealous.

No comments: